Wednesday, June 04, 2014

down to the wire

Today is my kids' last day of school! I may be feeling a little bit frantic and I may be trying to sew ALL the things this afternoon! Deadlines are good, though, right?
My daughter's teacher had a baby girl about a month ago. I thought it would be fun to sew up some baby bibs for her new little one. (They got finished yesterday because today was the last day my daughter could hand deliver the gift to school. I'm such a procrastinator!) The bibs are a little time consuming to make (about 2 hours a piece) but I love how they came together. It was totally worth it!
For the backing I used some cute Riley Blake fabric from my stash. They are completely reversible, so one side gets stained, she can use the other! :) These are scrap projects #73 and #74.
Here they are all wrapped up. I am not very good at making packages pretty, but I think this one turned out pretty darn cute!
I gave myself a deadline of summer vacation to sew up as many WIPs as I could, so some oldies but goodies are seeing the light of day again. This is my second machine quilting sampler, started back in 2011. Oh, yeah....that's going back. Sadly, this isn't my oldest WIP! I'm making progress, though, and that's what matters. Only 3 squares left to quilt!
 
Hopefully tomorrow I'll be back with a machine quilting post and the answers to all the questions on the quilt along post. Thanks for all of those who volunteered to join me for the quilt along!
 
Now.....I'm going to squeeze in a little more quilting while I can!
 

23 comments:

Suzanne said...

Those bibs are truly priceless. So very cute!

2011 seems like a pretty recent WIP if you ask me. I have plenty of more vintage ones than that.

Thanks for taking the time to post today. Sewing time is precious.

Jess (a.k.a. Rosie) said...

Love the bibs!!! They turned out so cute! I have a baby shower in a few weeks and think these would make a great addition to the gift.

Fran said...

I've just been cutting my scraps up to make one of your scrap quilts! My oldest wip is my hand sewn hexagons - 1333 of them, started six years ago... Enjoy your summer break.

Jenny said...

Just love the baby bibs - so pretty. I've been making things to put in my "baby box", not for me, I'm well past that. Now my grand-daughters are young women, I'm thinking ahead to great grand children yet to come.
AS for WIPs or UFOs, I have so many I'm scared to look! Perhaps I should list them?

Knitwitsowls said...

those bibs are adorable!!!! I love making baby things
Frankie
http://www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk/

Judy said...

2011? You're doing better than me. I have at least a couple of 20-year projects I need to revisit and decide what to do with them.

SarahZ said...

You are suddenly quite close to your scrappy projects goal! Woohoo!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

super cute bibs, and the quilting sampler is so neat. Your quilting is just impeccable!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Rie said...

What a lovely gift! Bibs are an essential baby item that no-one seems to give, I had to go buy a stack of ugly ones from the store for my baby girl!

Di~ said...

Really great bibs!

Heidi Staples said...

I absolutely love those bibs -- just darling!!

Quilt n Queen said...

Super cute bibs...the sweet packaging is wrapped up perfectly!!

Unknown said...

What a very colorful bibs! This will surely be the most lovely gift ever that a person could give to a friend or a family. I want to congratulate you for a very neat work. Job well done!

Jeneta said...

2011? Bah - that's not old. I'm sure I have some WIP's dating back to the 90's...

Mar said...

Lovely bibs!

Lorna McMahon said...

Love the bibs. And the quilting samples. Hope you are enjoying day one of having the kids at home! Have fun!

Unknown said...

Adorable bib. I especially love the backing. Just do sweet.

margaret said...

lovely bibs, I would be taking them off at feeding time!! Quilting looks amazing.

Lisa Lisa said...

Oh my goodness! The bibs are so flippin' cute - the numbers on the binding! The machine quilting sampler is pretty awesome, too! You've gotten so many items done before summer vacation!

Princess Martha said...

Love!!!

Linda said...

Love everything about them!

ConGhin said...

Love the bibs and am intrigued by how you will connect the sampler blocks. I guess all will be made clear tomorrow.

Susana Neiger said...

I love the quilt-as-you-go quilt already! (And 2011 is way more recent than a lot of my sidelined projects!) Gorgeous colors, and the quilting is beautiful! The 10,000 hours concept (and article) has me intrigued, too ... and now I'm wondering how many hours I've put into quilting over the past 20 years ...